Thursday, July 28, 2016

August 21, 1915: Italian-American journalist describes the Italian Front & two types of trenches

Italian-American journalist Magdeleine ver Mehr wrote the following on August 21, 1915. Her entire account can be found on pages 140-141 of Lines of Fire: Women Writers of World War I. 

"Yesterday was the most thrilling day of my life. I passed it right in the very midst of the war zone, having been fortunate enough to be allowed as the only woman correspondent to join the other representatives of the Italian and foreign papers who are up here in the Trentino. Being an Italian by birth, this experience is doubly wonderful to me as it enables me to see at close quarters the splendid work which my countrymen have done and are doing, and also to have had the privilege of being the first Italian woman to cross the new boundary line between Italy and Austria.

It was an unforgettable moment, and as we advanced further into what, till a short three months ago, had been Austrian territory, I felt as if I were treading on sacred ground, consecrated by the blood of my people who had willingly given up their lives to restore to Italy that which was hers...

Two sorts of trenches are seen, those built with cement, and those dug out in the ground, earth filled up on top.

The cement ones are like catacombs, they are more comfortable and probably better than the others, but they are infinitely less picturesque, also they give the impression that war was becoming an institution...

The old-fashioned trench gives the war a less permanent feeling. It is open at the back, the walls are of earth, the rain enters, the wind blows through, and the sun shines on it, but though more primitive, it is more comforting as one feels that it is only a hurried makeshift as quickly abandoned as built...".

From page 140, Lines of Fire: Women Writers of World War I.

No comments:

Post a Comment