Sunday, July 31, 2016

July 30, 1915: Gabrielle Petit describes her demeanor during an encounter with the Germans



Gabrielle Petit was a young Belgian woman who worked for British Intelligence during World War I. The following, a letter Petit wrote to her fiance on July 30, 1915, telling how he narrowly escaped Germany arrest, is excerpted from Gabrielle Petit: The Death and Life of a Female Spy in the First World War. 

"Not finding you, they came to my place, in hopes of making me confess; oh, what a hard time I gave them! I have shown them exemplary rudeness and astonishing arrogance...The officer took one of my photos; I asked him why. He went all cagey. 'When you'll return to Sauerkrautland,' I told him, 'do show that picture around: it shows a Belgian woman who has guts.' The effect was immediate. I wonder if he got over the insult...So you see, dear little fiance, that I have followed close upon your heels. Unfortunately, it might be two or three months before I see you again...

I am set to pass a little exam on Monday, 2 August and to leave London on the 3d. Some patience, and you will be able to congratulate me a lot. Be good, be brave, be loyal; be prudent, danger lurks everywhere; in whichever manner one serves one's country, one is always exposed to danger...

My good and dear little one, be brave; think of she who aspires to see you again and who kisses you with all her soul.

Your faithful and devoted fiancee,
Gaby"

From pages 51 of Gabrielle Petit: The Death and Life of a Female Spy in the First World War.  Petit's story is also told in the YA collective biography, Women Heroes of World War I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment