Sunday, July 31, 2016

July 28, 1915: Gabrielle Petit writes a letter hinting at her new role as a spy for British Intelligence



Gabrielle Petit was a young Belgian woman who worked for British Intelligence during the First World War. The following, a letter Petit wrote to her fiance on July 28, 1915, is excerpted from Gabrielle Petit: The Death and Life of a Female Spy in the First World War. 

"Dearest, best fiance,

As you can see, I get around quite a bit: first at Folkestone, now in London. I await orders from my superior. I will not enroll at the field hospital. I have something much more useful to do; later on, you will know everything. I will have done my duty well, you will be most pleased. But do pray that nothing bad will happen to me. Still, do not get upset; there is danger everywhere...If I succeed in my endeavor, I will ask my superiors to obtain a leave for you, which I will spend with you...Dearest fiance, be very brave, very prudent, and pray for us...

Forever your faithful fiance,
Gaby"

From pages 50-51 of Gabrielle Petit: The Death and Life of a Female Spy in the First World War.  Petit's story is also told in the YA collective biography, Women Heroes of World War I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment